As my good friend, Sarah, likes to say, “You can’t make this stuff up.”
Irony, according to my favorite dictionary (courtesy of Apple) is ‘a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.’
Miss California, by way of irony, has recently given us quite a bang for our buck. While preaching against gay marriage in the name of the holy church and bible, it’s been uncovered that:
- Her bible and religion don’t scoff at young women taking off their clothes and posing for nude photographs, but do oppose loving people making a lifelong, serious commitment to one another and raising families.
- She lied when she said the first set of nude photos that were released on the internet were the only ones.
- The breasts God gave her simply weren’t good enough and she had to get new ones.
- She violated her Miss California contract by not revealing her nude pictures to the pageant committee.
- Her declaration against gay marriage (the rights for which somewhere around half the population of her state support) does not toe the line of representing fully the state she has been honored to represent.
And then…Donald Trump lets Carrie Prejean keep her crown. My head is spinning.
Personally, I’m not into this plot at all. It has politics and loud ick factor…but no substance. You’re right, Sarah, we would never make this up – it’s just too…banal.
Writers, we can do so much better than this…can’t we?
UPDATE: Like Manna from Heaven – me and Keith Olbermann are one. I just found this and nearly fell off my chair. Thank you, Mr. Olbermann, for speaking up so eloquently:
Image courtesy of Wasabicube