Several months ago, I made a decision to enact a massive change in my life. It was so big, in fact, that it could have destroyed me. But I wasn’t really up for that. So, I took the only kind of control that I could. I wrote the story of how I wanted the transformation to go.
I wrote about it every day, from the moment I decided to make the shift until the moment I pressed the button. I wrote in great detail the events as I wished them to happen – and, as if I was writing and reading a novel, I both infused and experienced the words that I typed with the emotions I wanted them to carry.
I crafted my own story. And it worked. I would say that 97% of it came true…and that there’s still time for the other 3% to rise up from my computer screen and march right into this room. I’m quite sure it will.
And then, on January 1… I invited you to join me in a daily exercise to write how you wanted the year, month, week, day, next hour to go as a way of taking some kind of control. At that time, I hadn’t seen my story-writing come to fruition yet, I was going on blind faith – and an absolute refusal to give up.
I will readily admit to you that I haven’t done this everyday – at all. In fact, life got busy and I let it push me around, from meeting to deadline to to-do to success to defeat, and back around again.
And then, I got it.
In one of my favorite movies, The Holiday, Eli Wallach says to Kate Winslet (care of Nancy Meyers who wrote the screenplay): “In the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend.”
When we don’t write our own story, when we let other people, or simply life, write it for us, we play small, we become the best friend. And THIS, good people, is NOT the time for THAT.
So, go! Write, design, create…and then follow your script. It shouldn’t be too hard, you already know it by heart.
This post emerged in response to Chris Brogan’s call for posts about the importance of story in our lives. There’s a chance I’ll get a free copy of a phenomenal sounding book, Donald Miller’s A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, out of it. But if I don’t, I’ve already got it cued up on my Nook…because I think it’s our stories that make this place go ’round – and, besides, CB always gives good book.
Image credit: ATIS547