So, ER is finally winding down. I have to tell you that I haven’t watched the medical drama since George left the set. I have that thing where you believe you have every illness that happens on the show (even gun shot wounds, which last I heard aren’t a communicable disease). What’s that called? Oh yeah, hypochondria.
But, I dealt with it for Clooney.
Anyway, for the end of the series, ER brought all of the heavy hitters back, the original cast: Eriq La Salle, Julianna Margulies, Anthony Edwards…and, yes, George.
I was just standing in my kitchen daydreaming about Hollywood, as I often do. And, I was imagining the producers of the show finding out that everyone was coming back – George Clooney, in particular – and how they must be thrilled to get the ratings bump.
And, it occurred to me that what us bloggers deal with – the highs and lows of stats, the rare superstar post, the prized guest post or the coveted mention on a bloggeratti’s blog – isn’t so different from this television phenomenon.
Their episodes are our posts. Their guest stars are, well, our guest stars. Their feature on the Today Show is our feature on Chris Brogan’s blog. The ratings bump sometimes disappears in a flash, but sometimes the audience stays, grows, builds. We both win awards – though ours isn’t quite as prestigious…yet. But, we’re getting there.
So, if you can’t get George, what do you do for this ratings bump? Here are some ideas:
- Bring in a guest blogger who has a wide audience in a field that will be valuable to your readers, but won’t take your readers away.
- Same as above, but make it an interview.
- In either case, ask your guest to mention the appearance to their readers.
- Write something really good about a very hot and current topic.
- Guest post or be interviewed on someone else’s blog and meet their audience.
- Have a social media network that supports you and shares you (because you do the same for them).
- Provide information and value – give the people what they need!
Okay, chime in – your ideas always dazzle…
Image from Wikipedia