Picture courtesy of The Busy Brain
Selling Apples? Talk to the oranges: Finding networks, clients and customers in unlikely places
The craziest thing happened to me last week. I was on Twitter and met a smart, smart woman named Michelle Minch. She’s a home stager (helps design and set-up homes to increase their chance of selling) and I noted that she was part of the Active Rain Network. I’d heard about Active Rain and understood it to be an extremely well-populated, well-ranked and well-used social media network for people in the real estate business – it supports and is virtually built on member blogs.
As we chatted, Michelle suggested that I join Active Rain. I scoffed, replying that I’m not a realtor. And, well, let’s just that say that she proceeded to school me on the reasons I should, in fact, be there.
Turns out that just because I’m not part of the real estate industry, perhaps because I’m not, these folks are quite interested in what I have to offer. I’ve had a simply amazing time learning to use their network, being astounded by how well it’s built and how well the members use it.
The Numbers, The Numbers: as of this writing and in only 7 days, I’ve had 135 comments on 5 posts and 1,621 pageviews of those 5 posts. Wowzah! Serious, serious kudos to the Active Rain community for really participating in the conversation and supporting fellow members.
So, I’ve been chomping at the bit wanting to share this with you because there have to be more opportunities like this for all of us, right?
Here’s what I’ve summized so far:
- Look beyond where you’ve been looking to get your message out and to get new business. You’ve been going up? Go down. Left? Go right. Selling to the apples? Talk to the oranges. Promoting to the ladies at the beauty parlor? Check in with the sanitation department.
- Think of a group that could use your product or service…find out if they have a club, a network and join.
- Do you already belong to such a group? But you never thought of mixing business with pleasure or one business with another?
- As always, be human, showcase your expertise and your self. Example, I had a bit of fun on my profile bio – let’s just say, my ‘about yourself’ didn’t come dressed in a pants suit.
- Remember that this is a two-way street. Give to this new group and also learn from them, as they will do to and from you.
Have you had a similar experience? Do share…