Hi! My name is Al Aboutme from the Al Aboutme Print Shop! We print everything. Even holiday cards. Have any of those? ‘Cause I’ll print ’em! What? You have cats? We print cat posters too! Come on down and visit us. Come to our website, www.printhereorelse.com. I need business and I want yours. What? You never print things? Sure you do, come on down, we’ll find something you can print…blah blah, blah blah, blah blah.
Gross. Don’t be like Al Aboutme.
To build your business, you have to network and you have to work with other people. You need to talk to them, collaborate, do business – but you don’t have to do it like Al, and you shouldn’t. Why? Because it isn’t comfortable for you or for the people around you…oh, and it doesn’t work.
Think about this: when a company comes at you via email, a social network, on the phone or by direct mail, you typically cringe at the sight or sound. You sense the ambush, you know they want something from you. But, when a person approaches you via email, a social network, on the phone or by direct mail, you wonder who they are, you look forward to making a connection, you engage in conversation.
Please be a person all the time:
- Listen to what people need.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Give more than you take.
- Be generous with your time & information.
- Be in places where your clients will be.
- Realize potential clients are everywhere.
- Be kind.
- Be your most authentic self.
- Stay true to your goals and mission.
- Check in with yourself & make sure your actions/words feel comfortable as they happen.
- Be honest about what you can and can not deliver.
- Have the resources to help your clients with the things you can’t supply.
- Grow with your industry & the world’s needs.