Just three or four. But leaves all the same.
Though not just any old leaves. These are leaves with some green…and some noticeable amounts of orange, red and brown.
And two weeks ago when I put my babies to bed under my skylight at 7:30, it was bright enough for me to worry they wouldn’t fall asleep. Last night at 7:30, it was pretty much dark.
I’ve checked the calendar. ‘August’ was still at the top of it.
- I will wear jeans, long sweaters, my red shiny clogs, boots, scarves.
- I have several exciting trips planned.
- Two minutes, let alone one hour, of rollerblading will no longer leave me looking like I just stepped out of the ocean.
- My runs will be (partially, then fully) in the dark and very, very quiet.
- This island where I live will get lighter.
- That island where I work won’t smell as noticeably like week-old, sour vomit.
- Canoodling will become less sticky and a new ‘purpose’ will be added to it: to get warm.
- Butternut squash will be on most menus.
- So will lamb stew. With potatoes. And peas.
I totally get it, trees. Fall sounds good to me, too.
Image credit: mary.w.e.