Facebook is festive, LinkedIn is connective, but I’ve come to realize that they meander a bit. And I’m not talking about a slow internet connection.
When you compare them to Twitter, they move like molasses. I mean them no disrespect, those other social media sites happen at the speed of, how to put this delicately…at the speed of casual networking.
In other words, ‘Oh! I think I’ll go check my Facebook.’ or ‘Cool! One person connected to me on LinkedIn this week!’ For me, it’s been like a class reunion that happens one person at a time with a nice big bang at the front and then a quick fizzle. Really fun, but not meaningful to my business.
But with Twitter? It’s blam, boom, pop, whiz…all day long.
- Anywhere from 5 to 15 new people follow me per day
- I find at least as many new people to follow
- I get my news in real time (though oftentimes with some editorializing, which is fine because I hand-picked my sources the people I’m following
- I make real connections that turn into work and opportunity every single day
This last point is the real kicker. Last week on Twitter, I…
- was interviewed for two articles
- had a blog post mentioned and linked to on 3 other blogs
- got a free Epson Artisan printer and an almost free BOB stroller in exchange for blogging and social media promotion
- made a really good friend with a woman/wife/mom in Denver who is practically my twin
- was asked to participate in an upcoming blog/podcast series on writing
- I successfully promoted both myself and several clients in meaningful (not spammy) ways
Not bad. I encourage you to take the plunge. Follow me, and I’ll show you the ropes. I can’t wait to see what happens this week.